Did you know that February 20th is Love Your Pet Day? It reminds us of Valentine’s Day – is it a coincidence that it’s about a week from February 14th? Now do we really need a special day on the calendar to point out the love we have for our animal companions all year round? I think the answer is yes!
Why? Well, even with my energetic Jack Russell Terrier, there are some days when it’s easy for me to not really notice all of the wonderful things he does to brighten my day. While I do love my dog, I plan to pamper him more than usual on Love Your Pet Day. I’m thinking of buying him some new toys, getting him a box of treats from our local dog bakery, and taking him to his favorite off leash area, even if we have to drive an hour from our place to get there.
I’ve browsed around online and found more great ways we can go the extra mile for our furry, finned, and feathered friends on Love Your Pet Day. I’ll most likely do some of these suggestions, too.
* Instead of opening a can or bag of pet food, prepare your pet’s meals from scratch. Look for recipes on the Internet!
* Make your pet some new toys. Toilet paper rolls are great for mice. Cats will love bells on a string.
* Give your pet a bath and groom them. Show your pet you love them by keeping them clean and comfortable!
* Let your pet do something they love to do. If you have a dog, for example, take them to the park and let them run around until they’re pooped.
* Play with your pet! Turn off the TV or computer and really give them your undivided attention, even if just for an hour or two.
* If you have a pet that lives in a cage, e.g. a mouse or a hamster, let them outside for a longer time.
* Clean your pet’s home, whether it’s a crate, fishbowl, or cage.
* If you really want to spoil your pet, take them to a day spa or salon that caters to your particular animal.
* You can also do something for pets that are still waiting for homes. Donate to your local animal shelter.